Fire guts Mbare Matapi flat

by | Jul 1, 2021 | Local News | 0 comments

Mako Jerera

Mbare Matapi hostel block 12 in Harare was gutted by fire yesterday destroying household, leaving at least 18 families homeless.

Matapi Flats are some of the oldest buildings in Zimbabwe.

The fire broke out around four in the afternoon and quickly spread through Block C before firefighters got to the scene.

Luckily, no-one was injured after people evacuated expeditiously.

This comes weeks after Mpilo Central Hospital in Bulawayo, suffered a major setback when the doctors’ residence went up in flames. Also after, Kwekwe General Hospital doctors and staff members escaped unharmed after their quarters caught fire.

The Matapi fire was reportedly caused by a minor child who was playing with a candle after a power cut.

It also destroyed 12 apartments on the second floor, luckily no one was injured.

One of the residents at the flat, Mr Casper Chimhuka, said the fire started around 4pm and residents helped contain the fire using bucketful’s of water until the Harare Fire Brigade arrived.

“The fire started at around 4pm when we had a power cut. A minor child whom I later rescued was playing with fire and we were shocked to see smoke coming from their apartment.

“The Fire brigade came a bit late but thankfully managed to contain the fire before it spread to other apartments. The worry now is people have no place to stay.

“More than 18 families have been left homeless and need a place to stay,” he said.
Mr Chimhuka said some families had to set up camp on pavements last night.
National police spokesperson Assistant Commissioner Paul Nyathi confirmed the fire incident.
“We have received the report but we will provide a comprehensive report tomorrow (today),” he said.